Village Candle Safety & Burning Tips
When enjoying the delightful fragrances of Village Candle, it is important to bear in mind the safety and best practise tips listed below.
All candles should be placed on a protected, heat-resistant surface away from anything flammable and out of the reach of children and pets. Always leave a minimum of 10cm between any burning candles.
- Ensure all packaging is removed before lighting.
- If possible, use a long barrelled gas lighter to light the candle as it won’t leave residue, and will reach the wick more easily as the wax reduces down into the candle jar. A candle snuffer is the ideal way to extinguish the flame.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Keep the wicks trimmed to 3-5mm at all times, including when the candle is lit for the first time, as this causes the least amount of smoking. Ensure any wick trimmings are removed before lighting the candle, using wick trimming cutters if possible.
- Keep the wax pool clear of any wick trimmings, matches or other debris.
- Never touch or move a burning candle.
- Store candles in a cool, dry place to avoid colour fading, melting or cracking. Keep away from direct sunlight or fluorescent light. Any exposure to moisture may inhibit relighting.
- Try to allow the entire surface layer to become a pool of liquid wax every time you burn the candle. This creates the best fragrance circulation, allows the wick to burn with a consistent flame and helps to avoid wax residue being left on the sides of the jar.
- If possible, burn your candle for 3-4 hours at a time. After this period, allow the wax to cool and solidify before re-lighting. This will help to maintain the life of your candle and give a full and consistent fragrance throughout burning.
If you light candles for considerably shorter periods than 3 hours, 2 wick candles are a good solution, as they burn from edge to edge in half the time, meaning less potential wastage at the edges.
- Ensure the flame does not touch the glass as the jar may become hot and crack.
- Extinguish the flame carefully (candle snuffers are the safest way) before replacing the lid.
- Wax melts should only be used in appropriate burners. Add one piece of wax at a time until the melted wax fill is reached; do not over fill the burner as the wax will spill over. Place an unscented tea light in the middle of the burner for a low and controlled flame, designed to melt the wax at the ideal rate.
- Wait until the wax has completely cooled before gently placing pressure on one end until it pops out. Do not use metal or sharp objects to remove the wax as this may damage the burner or cause injury. If necessary, place in the freezer for a few minutes and the wax will cool completely and pop out into your hand.
- Votive candles are made to liquefy, so should only be used in appropriate, snug fitting holders. They should never be burned freestanding.
- Large Jar up to 170 hours
- Medium Jar up to 105 hours
- Small Jar up to 55 hours
- Up to 18 hours in an appropriate holder